Great for regular weeknights or when. Plus how to turn into a healthy freezer meal instructions for busy families.
Chicken stew & dumplings. Looking for a hearty, healthy dinner? It's the best dinner in the fall and winter and it's just what. Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis.
Ingredients of Chicken stew & dumplings
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 8 of skinless / boneless chicken thighs.
- Prepare 100 grams of bacon or ham diced.
- Prepare 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 2 of leeks thinly sliced.
- You need 2 tbsp of plain flour.
- Prepare 100 ml of white wine or cider.
- Prepare 500 ml of chicken stock.
- You need 100 grams of peas, frozen or fresh.
- You need 100 grams of sundried tomatoes, chopped.
- It’s 3 tbsp of green pesto.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- You need of Dumplings:.
- It’s 175 grams of self raising flour.
- You need 75 grams of butter.
- Prepare 50 grams of grated parmesan cheese.
Chicken stew & dumplings step by step
- Heat oil in ovenproof pan or dish, fry chicken until golden,turning as neccesary, remove from pan.
- Lower heat, Place bacon/ ham in pan and fry for a couple of minutes, add onion and leeks, cook until soft, without browning..
- Add plain flour and stir, cook for two minutes,without browning, stir constantly.
- Slowly add the wine, or cider still stirring, stir in stock, season. Allow to thicken..
- Replace chicken, add bayleaf, reduce heat, put on lid simmer for 45 minutes, stir occasionally..
- Meanwhile heat oven to 200C..
- Add pesto, peas and tomatoes..
- Make dumplings, rub butter & self raising flour together until it looks like breadcrumbs, add cheese and lightly stir in 80 ml cold water to form a soft dough. You can add ground black pepper or pinch of grated nutmeg at breadcrumb stage. No need for salt as cheese is salty enough!.
- Divide in to 8 pieces and roll into balls, dip tops into pine nuts then place on top of stew. Sprinkle any leftover pine nuts on top..
- Place in oven for 25-30 minutes until dumplings are nicely golden and cooked..
- Serve with vegetable of choice (creamed potato goes well) Enjoy.